This will be a rant, so if you’re not in the mood for reading my foul-tempered outpourings then now would be a good time to go elsewhere.
As many of you will have read over the course of the last few months, I am currently looking for work having been made redundant from my previous role near the end of April. As well as looking for work, researching roles and company, attending interviews, etc., I have been claiming job seekers’ allowance (JSA) from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). When I last claimed, as a graduate, I didn’t have a very good experience which you can read about here.
On Friday (the 18th) I had an appointment to go and sign on and talk to one of the DWP’s advisors who would try to give me advice on how to give myself the best chance of finding a job. I don’t know if the chap was new in his role or if, somehow, he found me intimidating, but he was noticeably shaking during our meeting. We went through and confirmed a few points, as well as having a brief discussion over what I was currently doing to look for work. Under the agreement I signed, I have to do 3 things per week in order to not have my claim stopped. I do a lot more than that, so even the edited highlights in my booklet had about 15 lines in the last fortnight.
However, just as we were booking in my next meeting in a fortnight’s time, the computer threw up a problem. My claim wasn’t coming up on the system. He looked at a few forms on the computer screen (which I could see at the same time) and it transpired that my claim had been stopped.
Why was this so?
Well, we’ve got to back a few weeks. When I initially made the claim I had to answer a lot of questions. One of these related to the amount of savings I had. I was asked to provide evidence of these savings. As most were in e-savings accounts, I didn’t have bank statements for them so I had to go to the bank and get them to print and stamp the relevant documentation. I can’t remember the precise date, but this information was handed to my local Job Centre Plus on either the 2nd or 3rd of May.
My claim was stopped on the 14th of May, with the reason being cited as “you have not given us the information we asked you for.” On the screen that I could view, there was a note on the 17th to say that documents were received, but this did not mean the claim would be reopened.
So why the delay?
Well, I delivered the requested documents to the Job Centre, but they are only the “shopfront” rather than the main benefits office. That is located elsewhere, about 30 miles away. So if it left on the 3rd of May, then the average speed of the documents was about 0.089 miles per hour. No reason was ever actually given for why it took so long. From the point of view of the benefit office, they would be right if they said they had not received the documentation by the 14th, but their statement that I had not given it is false. It had simply not been sent on.
To me, this level of incompetence is staggering. Yet, it could be argued, it gets worse! The fact that the system recorded that the documents were received on the 17th should make things simple. They could acknowledge their blunder and re-open the claim now that the relevant benefit office is in possession of all the desired documentation.
As if it would be that simple!
I was instructed by my advisor (remember, I am still in the local Job Centre at this time) that I ought to phone the relevant benefit office. I was directed to use one of the phones in the office, which I duly did so. They told me that I needed to ask for a “rapid reclaim” but that they couldn’t process this for me on their system. Instead, I had to phone the number for a new claim and request that they process the “rapid reclaim.” This I duly did, but the operator was confused since my records showed that I had an appointment booked for a fortnight’s time. She asked if there was anyone around I could ask, so I called a member of staff at the Job Centre over to help.
The only help I was provided with was to be told that I wasn’t allowed to use a phone in the Job Centre to ring the ‘new claim’ number and that I would have to use a different phone outside the building.
By this time, my patience was being pushed to its limit and it seemed that the next course of action was not permitted in that building, so I went home for lunch. After I’d had time to eat and calm down, I gathered all my papers together and phoned the benefits claim line. The operator was still using the set screen in front of her, so I can pass no blame on her for having to take me through the whole registration process again, which took over half an hour.
The upshot is that I have an appointment to go back to the local job centre on Monday afternoon (the 21st) where I will be very much on the war path. I’m spending this weekend making multiple copies of the timeline and gathering all the letters and other documentation I have to hand so that I can go and show them just how incompetent they are.
All this is a nasty distraction. I’ve still got job applications to follow up on and a couple of interviews to attend. The more time I spend having arguments with the DWP, the less research I get to do into future employment.
I’ll keep you updated on my progress or lack thereof.